In the past five years, I have been fortunate to work with clients from a wide variety of verticals, including: Adobe, Amazon, Attachmate, Catalina Marketing, Expedia, GNC, Microsoft, Pearson Publishing, Safeco Insurance, UW Medicine, and West Marine. I have also worked with partners like Razorfish, Wunderman, Merkle, and Ideosity.
I have worked with many major CMS, PIM, KMS, intranet, and taxonomy management solutions. I’ve found that regardless of the platform, the keys to success remain keeping the business and user goals in mind, facilitating communication between technical and business stakeholders, and making decisions based on evidence.
Factor, Senior Information Architect
5/2014 – Present
- Manage a team on large-scale projects for clients like Adobe, AWS, and Safeco, leading research, documenting journeys, creating prototypes, and communicating requirements.
- Helped one e-commerce client immediately have their largest sales day ever, by developing UX/IA strategy and plan. Another client called their strategy work “profound.”
- Caused initially-skeptical stakeholders to become evangelists for UX by collaborating with developers, demonstrating UX’s potential to make development time more efficient.
- Overhauled internal design processes to be profitable and user-focused by seeking out, evaluating, and applying new techniques from the field and teaching colleagues.
Factor, Experience Designer
4/2012 – 5/2014
- Rose rapidly from assisting to designing processes and collaborating with clients.
- Presented prototypes to developers and collaborated closely with them on solution design documents, coming to user-friendly solutions with minimal development time.
- Designed and executed user research that helped build the case for and win $1.1 million in projects focusing on strategy and design for a learn and support experience.
Independent Web & UX Designer
6/2005 – 6/2012
- Designed solutions and built websites using a variety of modern web frameworks and technologies for libraries, design portfolios, blogs, and small businesses.
University of Washington, Templeton Radiology Library Intern
10/2010 – 5/2012
- Taught doctors to use research tools and identified gaps the library could address.
- Implemented tools, using open-source products and technologies, to fill gaps.
University of Washington, Seattle, WA
MLIS in Library & Information Science. Coursework included advanced XML, theory and design of information retrieval systems, current issues in bioinformatics, and information behavior.
Reed College, Portland, OR
- Expert knowledge of HTML5, XML, CSS/SCSS/SASS, Bootstrap, Axure, Omnigraffle, and Photoshop. Working proficiency in many other languages, programs, and frameworks.
- Experienced working in a variety of PM frameworks, including Scrum, Agile, and Kanban.
- Frequent speaker at national IA and UX conferences, including the IA Summit, ConveyUX, Taxonomy Boot Camp, as well as local meetups.
- Enthusiastic teacher, guest lecturer at classes in UW’s MCDM program and iSchool, SVC, as well as universities and educational programs around the country.