As part of a larger redesign and migration effort, UW Medicine’s Patient Care website needed a full content audit. While some of the content was managed at an extremely sophisticated level, due to the presence of an excellent in-house content strategist, there was no existing content inventory. Large amounts of the content had not been touched in a long time and had never been overseen or approved by the current web team.
To determine what content should be migrated to the new version of Sharepoint for the new patient experience, I directed members of UW Medicine’s web team in a full inventory and audit of UW’s patient care content.
We completed an inventory of every page on the site, and associated text-based content (like PDFs), and then selected a sub-set of 1004 pages for a full audit. This audit detailed every aspect of each piece of content, including technical, organizational, and experiential metadata, as well as assessments of quality and fitness for publication. The content audit was an integral part of the UX design process, enabling us to have an intimate knowledge of the site as it stood. It simultaneously allowed us to test the proposed information model and taxonomy terms before implementation, by attempting to classify pages as we went. I led the audit process, presented results, and ensured that the findings informed the following HCD activities.
Once the inventory and audit was complete, we needed to determine how much of the existing content filled the needs determined in previous patient journey modeling activities and what new content might need to be created.
With this information, I wrote a gap analysis, comparing the existing content with the user goals determined by the personas, experience map, and user flows. This enabled me to see where existing content met user goals, where it could be repurposed, and what content needed to be created. We were able to provide the client an actionable list of specific references to content that could be reused, where and how, and what should be the priorities for content creation. From these priorities, we worked with the client team to create an editorial calendar for the next year.